- Location: Elmira, New York
1021 E. Water Street
Elmira, NY 14901
- Phone: 607-734-2211
- Founded: 1877
- Acquired: 1988
- Capital Improvements: $40 million since 1997
- Major EHS Successes: Significantly reduced VOC and HAP emissions from spray painting operations, reduced wastewater stream by several thousand gallons per month and conserved city water used
- Environmental Sustainability: Over 14,000 tons of scrap iron recycle annually into finished products
- Company Website
About Kennedy Valve
Located in the bustling town of Elmira, N.Y., Kennedy Valve, started in 1877, employs over 400 dedicated American workers. Recognized as one of the most experienced manufacturers and suppliers of waterworks products in the country, Kennedy does it all. Our modern facilities and cutting-edge technologies have made us an economic, environmental and community leader. From state of the art environmental upgrades to advanced training initiatives and community outreach, we’re working every day to make sure that Kennedy is the best in the business.
We’re always looking to improve. Since 1997, we’ve invested over 32 million dollars in capital improvements. These improvements have come in the form of safer production processes, environmentally friendly facilities and more productive workplace practices. By installing technology like our closed-loop water-cooling system and acid scrubber, Kennedy is ensuring that water and air pollution is prevented and controlled. But we don’t stop at caring for the planet; we make sure that our facilities are safe for our employees too. Over the years, we’ve implemented a comprehensive health and safety program designed to protect our workers. Toward this end we employ qualified health and safety staff members who work full time to create a secure and productive environment.
At Kennedy we manufacture and sell a wide range of products to support water and wastewater infrastructure needs around the world. From hydrants to commercial fire loop products we cover everything conforming to a variety of AWWA, UL, FM, NSF and other specifications. That means that customers from around the country, and the world, can rely on Kennedy to handle their diverse needs. For quality you can count on, Kennedy is there.
Awards and Recognition
As an industry leader for many years, we have a long history of positive recognition from both our peers and our customers. You can see our complete list of awards and accolades displayed below.
2014 Outstanding Environmental Performance — Foundry Award
Kennedy Valve is awarded the Outstanding Environmental Performance — Foundry.
The following factors are considered in the selection process for the current calendar year:
- Environmental Audit grade
- Environmental implementation — configuration, training and use
- McWane EHS MS implementation (environmental portion)
- Diligence in addressing audit and other corrective actions
- Demonstrated senior management commitment to environmental excellence
- Relationship with regulators (local, state and federal)
- Amount and quality of resources applied to environmental management
- Receptiveness to and participation in company-wide environmental initiatives
- Innovative ideas and solutions on environmental matters
American Water Works Association Bronze Award
Kennedy Valve Company’s Ad “The Teddy Bear” was awarded the Bronze Award by the American Water Works Association.
In 2011, Kennedy Valve received ISO 9001:2008 certification.
United Way Awards
United Way presented Kennedy Valve with the Corporate Silver Award, the Employee Bronze Award and the 2008 Star Performer award for its dedication to the success of United Way.
2011 Most Improved TRIR Rate — Foundry Award
Kennedy Valve is awared the Most Improved TRIR Rate — Foundry.
The Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) is determined by taking the number of incidents occurred in a year’s period which require medical treatment, restricted work activity, or lost time and multiplying that by 200,000 and dividing by the total number of hours worked at the facility during the year. The Most Improved TRIR Rate is determined by calculating at year end, the TRIR rate for each of our foundries and looking at the percent improvement when compared to their previous year end TRIR. The facility with the greatest percentage of improvement from the previous year is given the award.
The same process as noted above is done for all other facilities which are not considered a foundry and the award is given for the most improved over their previous year’s rate.
2010 Outstanding Environmental Progress — Foundry Award
Kennedy Valve is awarded the Outstanding Environmental Progress — Foundry.
The following factors are considered in the selection process for the current calendar year using the previous calendar year as the baseline:
- Progress on successful completion of audit and other corrective actions
- Improvements in overall compliance status
- Improvements in relationship with regulators (local, state and federal)
- Changes in quality and amount of resources applied to environmental management