- Location: Trussville, Alabama
7595 Gadsden Highway
Trussville, AL 35173
- Phone: 205-655-3271
- Founded: 1971
- Acquired: 1999
- Capital Improvements: $36 million since 1999
- Major EHS Successes: ISO 9000 since 2002; ISO 14000 since 2004; and OHSAS 18001:2007 since 2010
- Environmental Sustainability: 500 to 700 tons of scrap, aluminum, iron, brass and steel recycled annually
- Company Website
Recognized worldwide as a leading manufacturer of premier firefighting products, Amerex Corporation has been the best in the industry for over 40 years. Based out of Trussvile, Ala., our customers know us both for our exemplary service and consistent results. As of 2012 we are the world’s largest and most innovative manufacturer of hand portable and wheeled extinguishers for commercial and industrial applications. While other companies may have been in the industry longer, none has surpassed the high level of quality and service that we provide.
Although we are known for our extinguishers, Amerex manufactures a large variety of firefighting products at competitive prices. From our comprehensive restaurant fire suppression systems to the defense Fire Suppression System used by America’s troops, we make it all. This diversity in our product lineup has Amerex well versed in the rigors of firefighting. For home defense or industrial suppression, we provide you with the tools you need to fight the flames.
As an industry leader, one of our main goals is to create products that are as dependable as they are effective. That’s why so many Amerex extinguishers have guaranteed warranties, which can run anywhere from one and 12 years. We produce a quality product that we know will work. This commitment to reliability is one of the main reasons why we’ve been so successful. People trust us because when it’s most important, we deliver. So, whether it’s a single extinguisher or a complete fire suppression system, you can feel secure with Amerex.
Awards and Recognition
As an industry leader for many years, we have a long history of positive recognition from both our peers and our customers. You can see our complete list of awards and accolades displayed below.
VPP Star Site
On September 1, 2017, Amerex was named a VPP Star Site.
2018 Large Manufacturer of the Year finalist
The award, presented by the Business Council of Alabama and the Alabama Technology Network, recognizes Alabama’s manufacturing enterprises that exhibit excellence in leadership, performance, profitability, and workforce relations.
2017 State of Alabama Department of Labor Workplace Safety Award of Excellence
Presented to Amerex on April, 9, 2018, the Workplace Safety Award is presented to companies with continuous operation without a lost time injury from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017.
2017 Outstanding Environmental Performance — Fabrication
The following factors are considered in the selection process for the current calendar year:
- Environmental Audit grade
- opsEnvironmental implementation — configuration, training and use
- McWane EHS MS implementation (environmental portion)
- Diligence in addressing audit and other corrective actions
- Demonstrated senior management commitment to environmental excellence
- Relationship with regulators (local, state and federal)
- Amount and quality of resources applied to environmental management
- Receptiveness to and participation in company-wide environmental initiatives
- Innovative ideas and solutions on environmental matters
2017 - Pollution Prevention Challenge - Second place: Amerex; Compressed Air Monitoring
2016 Outstanding Environmental Progress-Fabrication Award - Solberg Scandinavian AS
Solberg Scandinavian AS was awarded the McWane Outstanding Environmental Progress - Fabrication Award for 2016.
The following factors are considered in the selection process for the current calendar year using the previous calendar year as the baseline:
- Progress on successful completion of audit and other corrective actions
- Improvements in overall compliance status
- Improvements in relationship with regulators (local, state and federal)
- Changes in quality and amount of resources applied to environmental management
2016 Outstanding Health & Safety Performance Award - Amerex Corporation
Amerex Corporation is awarded the Outstanding HS Performance.
This award is given to the one facility who has the best overall HS by looking at 11 distinctive categories. The categories which are evaluated are: (plaque awarded)
- OSHA complaints or citations
- Review of Health & Safety Procedures
- Completion of corrective actions
- Accuracy of OSHA 300 log recording of injuries/illnesses
- Corporate audit performance
- Participation in HS initiatives
- Effectiveness of HS system management reviews
- Qualifications of HS staff
- Other HS awards received by facility
- Significant incidents
- Effectiveness of injury reduction plans
2016 Most Improved RIR - Fabrication - Amerex Corporation
Amerex Corporation is awarded the Most Improved RIR Rate – Fabrication.
The Recordable Incident Rate (RIR) is determined by taking the number of incidents occurred in a year’s period which require medical treatment, restricted work activity, or lost time and multiplying that by 200,000 and dividing by the total number of hours worked at the facility during the year. The Most Improved RIR Rate is determined by calculating at year end, the RIR rate for each of our foundries and looking at the percent improvement when compared to their previous year end RIR. The facility with the greatest percentage of improvement from the previous year is given the award.
2016 McWane Ergo Cup - Best Risk Reduction (representing the highest overall risk reduction): Amerex, Trussville, Alabama - Valve Install
2016 - Pollution Prevention Challenge - "Why Didn't I Think Of That" Award - Amerex; Reduction of Waste Caused by Spent Rugs
2015 Pollution Prevention Challenge - "Why Didn't I Think Of That" Award: Amerex - Reusable Bin Systems
2014 Pollution Prevention Challenge - Second place: Amerex - Dry Paint Racks
2011 Corporate Friend of the Year
Amerex was named the 2011 Corporate Friend of the Year by the Cahaba River Society.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Amerex team member Craig Voelkert was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his outstanding service and commitment to the fire protection industry by the National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors (NAFED).
Amerex was certified by OHSAS in 2010 as conforming to the requirements of OHSAS 18001:2007 which is a program for companies who demonstrate outstanding health and safety achievements through an internationally recognized standard, OSHAS 18001.